Lotus Notes (4.5 perhaps newer) as standalone mailer with Ubuntu 7.10 & ff ???

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon Dec 10 20:44:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 19:46 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 21:50 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > My intention is changing from native Lotus Notes 4.57h for OS/2 to a
> > native Linux Notes release avoiding a non native solution, like you
> > mentioned, wine or similar !?
>
> Notes 8 runs as native on Linux as it does anywhere else -- it's
> Java-based.
>
> > The proprietary of Notes NSF files isn't that bad: Till now I was able
> > to acess from different OS's too ;-)
>
> Aha, I didn't know that
>
> > Well, the difficulty may more be: How is recognition from very old 4.5x
> > to the present newer releases ???
>
> I don't know. The company I am working for is currently preparing a
> switch from Notes 4.6 (IIRC) to 8, but we are not there yet. Since I am
> not involved in the preparations, I have no clue.
>
> But IBM needs a rock-solid upgrade path for all those corporate Notes
> installations, so I would figure they provide one. The IBM page I linked
> to should give you a place to start investigation :)

Hi Mario
Thanks again for your feedback and concerns !

Well, I already tried a download of Lotus Notes 8 (Trial) and its
449MB !?
Well, it has become a very big piece !!

I also investigated and researched in their forums:
The results do not sound very well regarding Ubuntu !
They, IBM, tends more to Redhat & SUSE's Linux's !!

Looks like i / we have to wait a little longer before we get it done
properly !?
I will keep an eye on it and switch asap !!!

Cheers, svobi