HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 10 01:44:07 UTC 2007

The main computer "Gutsy" runs Kubuntu Gutsy.
The network is completely down.
Gutsy reports "network unreachable" when I try to ping a local computer
and cannot ping anything remote.
Ifconfig eth0 does not report an inet, Bcast or mask address.

I am running now with the older Feisty Fawn drive in the same computer I
normally use.  Since Feisty can access the internet and works normally
in all respects I believe the problem is narrowed down to something in
the Gutsy.

The router and other computers in the house are working normally.

The route command gives a blank table with no entries.

The last thing I did was rebooted.
Before that, I installed tor and it seemed to be working ok for several
days.

A funny thing is that when I reboot Main, at the part where KDE asks for
the password, my normal keyboard does not type.  That keyboard is
connected to a usb kvm but I always have another keyboard connected to
the ps/2 connector.  When I enter the password on the ps/2 keyboard, KDE
comes up and the usb keyboard works normally.  This not a showstopper
but should not be happening.

I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart with no results.

Dmesg reports nothing strange that I can see.

Except for the lack of internet and the funny keyboard stuff, Gutsy
appears to be working normally.

Can anyone help me?

Larry
--