Motherboard Suggestions

Dave M DaveM at Mich.Com
Sun Dec 9 04:58:29 UTC 2007

I am thinking about upgrading my systems and have been looking at new
motherboards. A very confusing task! I am currently running V6.06LTS and
would like to stick with the LTS release (if possible).

The primary use of these systems is for recording/editing and playback of
multimedia. Here is my wish list:

All-in-one MicroATX form factor.
Open source drivers.
Intel Duo Core (3Ghz)
1066Mhz FSB (or 1333Mhz FSB)
2Gb Memory
SATA/PATA
USB
Fire-Wire
NIC
Audio (S/PDIF input would be nice)
Video (no gaming but need good DVD/Streaming video capability)

I would like to avoid downloading and compiling drivers. I am looking for
suggestions as to what motherboards work and what ones I should avoid.

I usually go for Intel when I can. But it looks like their current crop of
all-in-one MB's use the AGP3100 video chip and a PATA chip that is not yet
supported by Ubuntu.

If I cant find a MB with a supported video chip, what would be a good
choice for a video card?

TIA,
Dave M

Dave M
Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
Ann Arbor, Mich. USA

First Sale doctrine under attack, libraries at risk:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005400.php