Lotus Notes (4.5 perhaps newer) as standalone mailer with Ubuntu 7.10 & ff ???

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Dec 8 08:09:04 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 08:24 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Would love competent advice and guidance to get it done
> without loosing my existing stuff and continuing seamless !!

If you have lots of stuff in Notes which you don't want to lose, then
your best bet is probably switching to Notes 8, which runs on Linux
(Notes 8 is a Java application). You'd be set then.

Other options:

Notes 6.5.1+ runs under Wine (though not flawlessly), at least the
commercial version from Codeweavers:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=158

If you want to switch to a native Linux client I guess it depends what
parts of Notes you use. E.g., AFAIK Notes can export your personal
address book to a *.csv file, and Evolution can import those.

Email is another matter, I don't think Notes can export it, and the
files have a proprietary format. If you already have an IMAP server then
you are set, just leave the mail there and point your new email client
(Evolution, Thunderbird, ...) to it. If you don't have one, it might be
best to set one up and copy your Notes email within Notes to the IMAP
server.

I don't know how to migrate Notes databases and the like.