firefox showing wrong version

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 7 23:49:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Corey Bettenhausen wrote:

> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> On my Ubuntu Gutsy system with a recent apt-get update/apt-get upgrade:
>>
>> scott at scott-desktop:~$ which firefox
>> /usr/bin/firefox
>> scott at scott-desktop:~$ firefox --version
>> Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2007 mozilla.org
>>> From within firefox:
>> Help > About Firefox
>> Firefox
>> version 2.0.0.8
> You may have two versions of firefox installed and launcher is pointing
> to the old one.  Not sure how that could happen but something to check
> out.  Right-click on the launcher and select "Properties".  What command
> is it running?
> -Corey

The catch here is the firefox version I show above with 2.0.0.8 was using
firefox invoked from the command line.

Some more details:

scott at scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$ ./firefox <-- this brings up
2.0.0.8 per Help > About Firefox, though ./firefox --version shows 2.0.0.11

scott at scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$ ./firefox-bin
./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot
scott at scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$

Scott