Gutsy speed

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Fri Dec 7 18:21:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:26:35 +0100, Davide Corio wrote:

>> I'm also interested in some speed improvements. My ubuntu laptop needs
>> approximately 5 mins to boot. It is a Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz with 2GB ram,
>> so it is very similar to your system. Even my much older desktop system
>> (P4 3.2GHz) boots much faster. The first part of the boot sequence
>> (where the splash screen with the progress bar is shown) is reasonable
>> fast, but once X comes up, I have to wait several minutes before my
>> gnome desktop appears. During that time, I only see a light brown
>> background color.
>
> 5 mins?? O_o
>
> In this case, chech your hostname (open gnome-terminal and type
> hostname)

My notebook is extremely slow at booting 7.10 too. But in my case,
disabling the splash removed the problem. Now it's back to normal
(slightly faster than XP). It's very unlikely that a splash screen can
cause such a long delay, but since removing it does remove the problem, I
don't know where else to look.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com