Problems with the pound character

bill purvis bil at beeb.net
Fri Dec 7 17:22:12 UTC 2007

For those who missed my earlier message, I'm having problems
inputting the UK Pound Sign (£) in terminal windows.
I've now decided the problem must be in the readline
function. If I type:
$ cat >xxx
abcd££££
^D
that works fine, so the basic input is working fine.
It's only if I try to type
$ echo 'abcd££££' >xxx
that it plays up. I get as far as
$ echo 'abcd
then when I press the '£' key it kills the line,
prepends a '#' character and then goes on to provide
the next command prompt.

I can't see anything in /etc/inputrc which directly
explains this behaviour, and can find no mention in the
info pages for readline.

Please help!

Bill
| Bill Purvis, Amateur Mathematician    |
|  email: bil at beeb.net                  |
|  http://bil.members.beeb.net          |