Gutsy speed

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:01:32 UTC 2007

Mario Vukelic a écrit :
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 23:17 +0100, Loïc Martin wrote:
>> And when
>> somebody is on the phone and I need to start the computer to give them
>> an answer, I'm not so happy having to explain the 1'50 boot + 15sec to
>> desktop + 5 sec Nautilus boot + 10 sec OOfice startup are due to me
>> using Ubuntu and not a decent distro or Windows XP.
>
> Try to analyze it with bootchart. A 1'50 boot to gdm is certainly not
> normal. http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/admin/bootchart

Did it for feisty, but without any real improvement, because I need most
of the services (deactivating bluetooth doesn't brush off much time :) )
and I don't want to risk breaking what already easily broke by itself.

True, I've got 10 partitions, it's a 1,8Ghz P4 laptop + high res
(1600x1200), fonts sets to 14 instead of the default and with scim
(Chinese) and I suspect Ubuntu's implementation of fonts and Pango to be
far from optimal. But I don't have any applets. If I install only a
default Ubuntu English install (no other language, default font size)
it's around 1'20.

However, I've never seen such a slow boot with other distros (talking
about the boot with scim + 14 size fonts). And Windows XP use to boot in
43 sec, then less than 2 for Firefox (dog slow on Ubuntu), and less than
5 sec for OO.