How do we get out / rid of initramfs ???

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Dec 4 00:15:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 21:36 +1000, Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there Svobi,
>
> > Hi Ken
> > Thanks for your assistance ;-)
> >
>     Your thanks may be premature. I'm not sure that I've assisted yet :)
>
> > With only this single Ubuntu 7.10 on this machine and for experimenting
> > I tried to keep the installation simplest with only root & swap but plus
> > home !
> >
>     Ok, that sounds like the easiest setup to me. You're install should
> have been painless from there.
>
>     May I ask what filesystem your partitions are formatted on? During
> the install did you get your partition manager to format everything?
>
>     If you're using the same partitions that your previous Linux distro
> used, they may be something that the initram thingy can't read. That
> will bring everything to a grinding halt as it won't be able to find the
> root '/' directory and will drop you to an initramfs shell.
>
>     If you're going to reinstall, try using either reiserfs or ext3 as
> your filesystem and format everything. In this case I suggest booting
> from your CD/DVD and when the partition manager comes up, delete all
> your partitions. Then, assuming you're running QParted or Gparted, hit
> the "Apply" button (I think that's what it's called) to write your
> partition table to disk. Then make your partitions as required and
> format them in one of the two filesystems above. Finish your install and
> with luck, all should be OK.
>
>     If you still have problems, then I'm as stuck as you are since I
> know next to nothing about how the initram and the various boot stages
> work. There's a lot of information on the web, and much of it is very
> technical, but I'm sure that this group can help a lot. They've
> certainly helped me before now.
> > You encourages me for one more installation with a separate boot ;-)
> >
>     A separate boot shouldn't be necessary, but it can't hurt. I only
> had mine set to 50 Meg, and it was a bit small when it came time for a
> dist-upgrade. I came up with a workaround, but it may be easier to just
> make it 100 Meg if you have a large enough hard drive that you can spare
> the space.
>
> > Does it mean that root hasn't to be bootable then ?
> >
>     I dunno if it helps or not. Mine isn't and it works fine. But then
> I'm using the Grub bootloader which tells the system where to boot from.
> If you're just going to have a single OS then it probably can't hurt. To
> my knowledge it won't stop your system from working, but it might not do
> anything either.
>
> > TIA for any hints and responses.
> >
>     Not a problem. I can't guarantee that there's anything useful here,
> but at least it's something to try. IMHO it's worth sticking with it as
> it seems to be quite a competent OS.
>
> See ya
> Good luck =)
>
> Ken McLennan
> Qld, Australia

Hi Ken
Again thanks a lot for your extensive feedback !

Mentally every feedback is a help because one sees that there are folks
trying to assist and solve some experiences !!

It's quite frustrating struggling along and no one reacts to SOS's !!!

Yes, this bespoken installation should have gone like a charm because
it's really the simplest one !

It seems that there is an ugly combo between HW and the LinPUS:
To install another OS one needs to have the LinPUS Recovery CD to find
that there is a function to allow other OS's !?

And one isn't able to just download this media from the website ;-(
One needs to write an e-mail to LinPUS and has to wait for the holy
reply to it's URL ;-((

Getting this link and starting download it shall need more than 26hrs
for a bit more than 600MB ;-O

BTW: How do I ???
That respective system isn't working and UN-usable !!!

Not only:
Even 3rd party tools like Partition Magic 8 or a DFSee 9.xx aren't
capable to deal with the system !!

RedHat starts with CD1 and then asking for the installation it cannot
find the inserted CD !!

SUSE, like eCS-OS/2, cannot even recognize the HDD !!

Knoppix 3.3 didn't work too !!

TOO MUCH the impossiblest troubles ;-(

Well, we also made a mistake:
We didn't open and use the sealed CD/DVD's delivered with the machine
fearing that we may not being able to return the system !?

Definitely final conclusion:
Chapter closed and machine goes back to seller !!!

Amen ;-)

Cheers, svobi