How do we get out / rid of initramfs ???

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Dec 2 23:49:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 07:51 +1000, Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there Svobi,
> >
> > Why is this initramfs prompt STOPPING us from the regular Ubuntu login
> > screen and how do we overcome it ???
> >
> > Any hints are very welcome ;-))
> >
> > Cheers, svobi
>
>     I just found this thread, so I hope I may still be of some small help.
>
>     I found myself with an initramfs prompt awhile ago when I was
> installing Elive. I was setting up a triple boot - Elive; Ubuntu 7.04;
> Vista - and using Grub bootloader from the Elive install (it's much
> prettier but works the same). I have my Ubuntu '/boot' on a separate
> partition to '/' and got the kernel parameters wrong in menu.lst. The
> initramfs then couldn't find the '/boot' partition and I was dropped
> into a shell.
>
>     Perhaps you have something similar in your setup? In the parts of
> the thread I have here there's nothing to say whether Ubuntu is the only
> OS, nor how your partitions are setup. I can verify that if the initial
> ram disk files can't locate the '/boot' partition then you'll see this
> prompt. At least it's something to check out.
>
> See ya
> Good luck
> Ken McLennan
> Qld, Australia

Hi Ken
Thanks for your assistance ;-)

With only this single Ubuntu 7.10 on this machine and for experimenting
I tried to keep the installation simplest with only root & swap but plus
home !

You encourages me for one more installation with a separate boot ;-)

Does it mean that root hasn't to be bootable then ?

TIA for any hints and responses.

Cheers, svobi