2 hard disks

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 2 22:53:34 UTC 2007

On 12/02/2007 11:39 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/02/2007 01:31 AM, norman wrote:
>>> See my new post: [Howto] Dualboot 2 drives Ubuntu/Win
>>>
>>> Hopefully that will help when you get ready to try again.
>>
>> I have read through your new post and found it comprehensive and
>> easy to follow. No one should have any difficulty in setting up and
>> running a twin hdd dual boot machine. I would like to ask one
>> question, why do you advocate removing the power cable before
>> working inside the computer? I always leave it in as a way to earth
>> but make sure that the power is switched off.
>
> Because I have seen fried components/computers where someone was
> working on them with the power cord plugged in and forgot to turn off
> the chassis power switch, or bumped the switch to on when moving the
> chassis around.

Added note to this: you'll find warning such as this in most all
standard motherboard manuals - from an Intel motherboard manual:

<quote>
Before You Begin
WARNINGS
The procedures in this chapter assume familiarity with the general
terminology associated with personal computers and with the safety
practices and regulatory compliance required for using and modifying
electronic equipment.
Disconnect the computer from its power source and from any
telecommunications links, networks, or modems before performing any of
the procedures described in this chapter. Failure to disconnect power,
telecommunications links, networks, or modems before you open the
computer or perform any procedures can result in personal injury or
equipment damage. Some circuitry on the board can continue to operate
even though the front panel power button is off.

CAUTION
Before installing or removing the processor, make sure that AC power has
been removed by unplugging the power cord from the computer; the standby
power LED should not be lit (see Figure 2 on page 24). Failure to do so
could damage the processor and the board.
</quote>

I've been repairing electronic equipment since 1972 (yep, I'm a grandpa
too :-) and one of the first things I learned was "unplug the main"
unless of course you are troubleshooting circuits & require the power to
be on.

So... you've been advised :-)

Gary