How do we get out / rid of initramfs ???

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Dec 2 08:32:46 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 00:23 -0500, John Dangler wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 21:46 -0500, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > what it

> > > Are you trying to mount disks that were not part of the install?
> > That is,
> > > disks you told the install process to mount at various mount points?
> > >
> > > Initramfs, as people have mentioned, is the method used to provide
> > access to
> > > various filesystems and other hardware items at boot time.  It is a
> > > collection of modules that need to be there very early in the boot
> > process.
> > >
> > > I can only guess that the boot process is trying to access
> > hardware/filesystem
> > > that it is not prepared to do.  Perhaps, if you are specifying
> > something
> > > during the install process that might not play well, you could try a
> > very
> > > simple install, with just a  root - boot - and a swap partition.
> >
> > Hi Bruce,
> > NO, it's a simple replacement from the originally installed LinPUS !!!
> > Googeling I only found negative feedbacks to LinPUS !!
> >
> > As a newbie I enjoy Ubuntu since about a month and
> > suggested a replacement with 7.10 Gutsy ...
> > ... and now if LinPUS or Ubuntu:
> >
> > Both are NOT coming up to a user login ...
> > both are coming with this initramfs prompt !
> >
> > End of my latin ;-(
> >
> > Cheers, svobi
>
> Svobi~
> Make sure you have Ubuntu burned on a cd as an iso file (.iso
> extension).
>
> Reboot the PC, go into the setup, make sure that the CD is the first
> bootable device.
>
> Put the Ubuntu CD in the tray, close the door, and reboot the PC.
>
> When it starts, select a new install.
>
> Take the default prompts through the installation.
>
> That should resolve the issue. If not, send a message telling us exactly
> what you saw (be as detailed as you can).
>
> Jack

Hi Jack
Thanks for your reply:

Exactly what you described above ...
... was done about a dozen times since FRI night !!!

However and whatever I do, with with Ubuntu 7.10 DT, with Ubuntu 7.10 DT
Alt, with Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64, with Knoppix, with RedHat, with SUSE10 ...
... nothing worked to bring the system up properly with the login
screen !!

Only the DT Life CD brought the Ubuntu Gnome DT properly and reasonable
but ended the same as all tries with the ones above:

The BusyBox 1.1.3 text with the Initramfs prompt !

Beside of all the experiments with the OS's mentioned above:
DFSee, PartitionMagic plus eCS-OS/2 Warp incl. WIn98SE were unable to
bring some success ;-(((

I stopped spoiling my weekend totally and returned the cripple with
recommendation to return and claim back the bucks !!!

End of the story - sorry !!

Thanks to all who tried to help !

Cheers, svobi