Dual Boot

alex aradsky at ne.rr.com
Fri Aug 31 16:04:59 UTC 2007

Tipton, Timothy wrote:
> Is it generally a good idea to install Ubuntu first, then Windows? Or
> vice versa?

Definitely NOT any Linux first.
During the installation of UBUNTU (or other Linux,) it checks to see
what other operating systems are already installed (including Windows
and other Linuxes)
and creates a list of these systems to include for booting..  Windows
doesn't do this  regardless of when it it is installed., first or otherwise.

So,if you install Windows AFTER a Linux,  you will not be able to boot
Linux without some extra work to make Linux control the booting..
If you install a Linux first, then Windows followed by another Linux,
that last Linux will be able to boot the first Linux and also Windows
plus itself.

alex