Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 31 02:13:06 UTC 2007

> > >     Edit /etc/aliases to add:  root:
> > > myname at mymail.com
> > >

> > I have in /etc/aliases "root: <username>" but no
> email
> > address. I know myname is bound to be my username
> > because that's who root mail goes to.  What about
> > "mymail.com"? Is that to be literal or just what?
>
> [...]
>
> The aliases file can redirect mail to either a local
> system account,
> or any legit remote account, like ...
>
>  root: leonard

That's exactly what I have(except username is
something else) but no root mail.  And I don't want
Postfix envolved in routing my web mail.

> for a local account, or like ...
>
>  root: lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
>
> for a non-local account. Either works fine just
> depending on where you
> want it to go. It just catches any mail destined for
> the local 'root'
> account and redirects.
>
> After changing that, you need to run ...
>
>  sudo postmap /etc/aliases   (assuming that is the
> right file and
>                               matches main.cf)
> and
>
>  sudo postfix reload

Did all this and still no root mail.  However, errors
were outputted from sudo postmap /etc/aliases:

lchata at ubuntu:/var/mail/lchata$ sudo postmap
/etc/aliases
Password:
postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 2: record is in
"key: value" format; is this an alias file?
postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 3: record is in
"key: value" format; is this an alias file?
postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 4: record is in
"key: value" format; is this an alias file?
lchata at ubuntu:/var/mail/lchata$ sudo postfix reload

And my /etc/aliases file is:

lchata at ubuntu:/var/mail/lchata$ cat /etc/aliases
# Added by installer for initial user
root:   xxxxxx (my login user name is shown)
clamav: root
webmaster: root
lchata at ubuntu:/var/mail/xxxxx$
You can see Feisty did this not me.
And my /etc/postfix/main.cf file is:
lchata at ubuntu:/etc/postfix$ cat main.cf
# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented,
more complete version

# Debian specific:  Specifying a file name will cause
the first
# line of that file to be used as the name.  The
Debian default
# is /etc/mailname.
#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail"
warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

# TLS parameters
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache

# See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the
postfix-doc package for
# information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

myhostname = kubuntu-desktop
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = ubuntu, localhost.localdomain, ,
localhost
relayhost =
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter =
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = ipv4
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
lchata at ubuntu:/etc/postfix$

BTW, I did review this file and the detailed commented
file /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist before posting
but it didn't help me.

> You could have also used the virtual user table to
> do essentially the
> same thing, but this method is easier IMO for simple
> local mail
> accounts.

Which is all I really want.  No complications.  Thanks
for your reply, I understand a little more now and
don't see any errors.  Perhaps the additional file
info will show something to someone knowledgable in
mail setup.
> --
> Hal

Leonard Chatagnier