Installation Assistance (Multiple CD Verification Failures)

Christopher Burke chris.burke at senigen.com
Thu Aug 30 15:25:15 UTC 2007

OK. I've got 4 older (3 - 5 years) Dell PowerEdge Servers (a 4400, two
2400's, and a 2500). Xubuntu Command-Line Server Feisty Fawn has been
installed on all of them except the 2500, and I was hoping to describe the
symptoms publicly in hopes of getting assistance from the community (this is
the final step prior to launching the server over Niagara Falls).

Installation on the 2500 has failed in seemingly in random locations, and
I've tried 4 different CD's:

*	Feisty Fawn [Normal Installation CD]
*	Xubuntu [Alt. Install CD] v. 6.06 Server Install
*	Xubuntu [Alt. Install CD] v. 7.04 Command-Line System Install
*	Xubuntu [Alt. Install CD] v. 7.04 Command-Line System Install
(Slower Burn Speed)

But rather than posting the various installation errors, I thought I'd
isolate this request to solving the fact that all 4 CD's fail verification
on the 2500. Each fails in a different location, and all failures are
associated with the repeated message "Buffer I/O error on device sr0,
logical block <contiguous numbers>". The excitement ends with a red screen
explaining that the CD failed MD5 verification.

Conversely, ALL 4 CD's have been successfully verified on one of the other
servers, and all 4 have been successfully installed on OTHER servers.

As I said, though, I am just trying to get Ubuntu installed on this fourth
and final server, but would have to assume that solving the verification
failure would lead to a firm diagnosis and (ultimately) success. My
assumption, of course, is that some device on the 2500 is causing the
problem, but I just don't know how to get to the bottom of it. So my
questions are as follows:

1.	What would cause a failure in the MD5 verification other than a
defective CD?

2.	What is going on during the verification test that would cause it to
consistently succeed on one machine while failing on another?

3.	I used InfraRecorder to burn all the CD's, all with the default
options selected. Has anyone ever come across hardware (e.g. the CD device,
etc.) that simply requires different settings when burning the image? And if
so, what other settings are relevant?

3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. While I am only 30 minutes away from
the Falls, the authorities really frown upon tossing computing equipment
into the river.

Thanks much,

Chris