Local Network Problem

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Aug 30 07:04:30 UTC 2007

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> I don't see an entry for your router in any of your /etc/hosts files.
>>> You should add a line
>>>
>>> 192.168.1.1 router.site router
>> This does not do any harm, but afaik it is not needed, since the
>> default gateway should be stored within your network interface
>> configuration (/etc/sysconfig/network/....).
>
> Right - it isn't needed. Don't ask me why I wrote it :)
>
> But the configuration for the network interfaces is
> in /etc/network/interfaces (it seems you were pointing to the SUSE
> location).

Yes, you are perfectly correct. It is /etc/network/interfaces indeed.
Apparently I happened to be on my suse machine and did not even notice.
Sorry for confusion.

otoh, this shows that while Linux distributions may differ a bit here
and there, it does not make much technical difference.
Imho this is good news.

regards
Eberhard