Local Network Problem

Heike C. Zimmerer nospam07q1 at gmx.net
Wed Aug 29 10:42:04 UTC 2007

Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> writes:

> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> > I don't see an entry for your router in any of your /etc/hosts files.
>> > You should add a line
>> >
>> > 192.168.1.1 router.site router
>>
>> This does not do any harm, but afaik it is not needed, since the
>> default gateway should be stored within your network interface
>> configuration (/etc/sysconfig/network/....).
>
> Right - it isn't needed. Don't ask me why I wrote it :)

It makes perfectly sense to me.  I'd always prefer symbolic names over
IP numbers, especially for the router (for the rest, DHCP may do as
well).  If you change your configuration, you can just propagate the
new hosts file to all of your machines, changing just one line for
each (which happens to be done by a simple script here).  Else you end
up editing differing entries in each machine's /etc/network/.