How to avoid the Apple tax?

Brad Johnson lists at bkjohnson.com
Mon Aug 27 07:26:32 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 15:20 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Matthew Polashek wrote:
> > An argument could be made that OSX is more evil than Window$ because
> > it isn't designed to run on non-apple hardware.
>
> Hardly.  Apple sells hardware.  Since the hardware requires some kind of
> software to run it, they provide software.  You can use that software or
> not - just as every peripheral we buy provides Windows drivers, which we
> may or may not use.
> --
> derek

Actually, Matthew has a very valid point. The hardware locks you into
the software (Apple OSX Tax) and the software locks you into the
hardware.

This is different from Microsoft in that you can put Windows on any PC
hardware you want. Considering market share, pound-for-pound, Apple is
being MUCH more restrictive and in the the Open Source arena,
restrictive = evil.

Brad