HP DV9540 laptop AMD64 with nVidia G8400M graphic card will not start in X mode

Niels Larsen bqz69 at telia.com
Fri Aug 24 03:16:12 UTC 2007

I just bought a HP DV9540 laptop with nVidia G8400M graphic card.

I have tried to install both kubuntu and ubuntu, both i386 and amd64, but they
all ended up with a black screen - it sounded as the install was ok.

I succeded to install in debian etch, both amd64 and i386, but also there I
could not get X (KDE) to work.

I got: Fatal server error: no screens found

Then I installed newest nvidia driver from:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_100.14.11.html
and I got it to work once, then I got segmentation 11 fault.

Now I have installed debian etch i386, but did not succeed in geting the
nvidia newest driver to work from:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.11.html

However I installed, with "module-assistant", nvidia-kernel, and nvidia-glx is
installed, but it only works with a "vesa" driver, and the screen looks
awful.

:-?