Check out this email....[Fwd: The next big thing for websites]

charlie derr cderr at simons-rock.edu
Mon Aug 20 00:56:23 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:

> LOL.  It _is_ a little scary until you see what really happened.  Try
> opening the URL with wget (or you could just use nslookup on the host, but
> it's not as interesting).
>
> www.ulwebnet.com has an IP of 0.0.0.0 - so it's always going to resolve to
> your system.  There's nothing here to be afraid of, move along folks :-)

I confess that is pretty nifty.  Interestingly enough I get 3 different behaviors with respect to that "special" address on 3 different 0Ss.

If i try to ping www.ulwebnet.com from a freeBSD machine, I get a ping return from the Layer 3 switch on the network it's plugged into (the
gateway address).  On a debian linux machine I get a ping return from localhost.  On windows XP pro I get:  "Destination specified is
invalid." and no ping attempt actually seems to be sent towards 0.0.0.0

	for whatever it's worth,
		~c