sun jre with firefox

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 17 01:46:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:11:54 -0400
jack <jdangler at terremark.com> wrote:

> I know this will sound a bit silly, but I can't seem to access apps
> (like web-ex) on mu kubuntu 7.04 box.  I have sun java 6 packages
> installed,

Are you using the java packages from Ubuntu, or from Sun? The Ubuntu
packages from the multiverse repository work fine - you just need to check
that the alternatives system is actually using them in preference to the
gcj java installed by default :

* Enable the multiverse repository : see

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

* Then:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin

( this should pull in sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre  as dependencies)

* Then:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

(choose the number for java-6-sun )

> and have manually started them,

I don't follow this - what do you mean by   "manually started them?"

>but I don't think this is
> what these apps want.  It seems to be more of a runtime engine within
> the browser (or one that the browser can use)...

If you have used the Java  from the Sun website, setting it up is
more involved. The Ubuntu packages are much easier to use :)

In any case, read

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

That page has lots of information about installing java, including
specifics for KDE and Konqueror. The plugin should "Just Work (tm) " in
Firefox,  once you have installed as above.

Peter