dual boot system

Casey Stamper casey.stamper at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 19:15:17 UTC 2007

cj wrote:
> Robert Schlueter wrote:
>> I've been using Ubuntu for about a month now. I left ms windows on the
>> system in a much smaller partition, mainly because it is the only way I
>> can use my hp scanner or lexmark printer. But I have 500GB for Ubuntu
>> and that is more than I need. My question is, is it possible to run more
>> than two OS's on one computer? I'd like to experiment with other Linux
>> distros.
>>
>>                                                 Bob
>>

> you can run as many oses on a computer as you want (just so long as you
> have enough hard drive space for them).
>
> but if you want to dualboot ubuntu on top of windows, you have to
> install windows first, then ubuntu. Microsoft didnt program there boot
> loader to detect *nix operating systems
>
> --cj

I have, at certain times, run no less than six different distros on one
hdd. It's easier to install XP first and then go from there but it's by
no means hard to install one of the linux distros first and install XP
later. You just have to be aware of your partitions and how each distro
is utilizing them. Also, each distro has different capabilities as far
as detecting other operatings systems. In my case, IIRC, I had to edit
the /boot/grub/menu.lst for each distro that I installed so that the
previous distro installations would be included in the grub menu at
boot. You have to know what you're doing to a certain extent and be
pretty familiar w/partitioning tools but it's by no means hard and it
can even be fun.

--
Casey Stamper
http://www.stampersite.com