Linux-friendly UPS

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 15 17:42:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:13:41 -0400
Rashkae wrote:

> > One issue you might want to bear in mind is the type of output.
> > Some upses only output a modified sine wave.  Both Belkin and
> > Enermax have told me that this is not suitable for many modern
> > PSUs, and so I bought a (Belkin) ups with a pure sine wave output.
> > They seem to cost a little more.  This may, however, just be a
> > European issue.  I'm not an expert.
>
> Simulated Sine works just fine with every PSU, including very modern
> ones, I've ever thrown them at.  By far, most UPS's use Simulated
> Sine. Beware the salesman with a more expensive model :)

Well, the Enermax website says:-

"Any UPS has 2 common types of AC output waveform in battery mode: Sine
Wave type, and simulated Sine Wave type.

If your power supply has Active PFC function, you must purchase Sine
Wave type UPS. On the other hand, if your power supply is without
Active PFC function, you can use either Sine Wave type or Simulated
Sine Wave type UPS."

My understanding is that the EU requires PSUs to have Active PFC, but
presumably a PSU that has Active PFC anywhere else also requires pure
sine wave. That's why I suggested he should check.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/