Fernando's massive sig(now off-topic but in-thread)

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 14 15:49:33 UTC 2007

On August 14, 2007 10:51:31 Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> > On 8/14/07, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote: <snip>
> >> As a pretty new member of the list ... actually it's a pretty easy
> >> room. This is a big, public list and he's irritating thousands of
> >> people with each message. It's rude; yet people are asking him
> >> nicely to stop.
> >>
> >> He won't listen, so I'm going to take his advice and send all his
> >> messages to the bitbucket. His loss.
> >>
> >> --Matt
> >
> > Matt, tell me, what am I doing that is so irritating? A simple
> > signature?
>
> While I'm not Matt, I am a bit of an email retentive...
>
> It's not hard to be irritated by people's email habits when you spend a
> great deal of time using email and communicating with people via the
> typed word.
>
> Here's some points to consider...

> One last point...stop sending format-specific attachments that
> necessarily requires me to have a specific package to read it.  Hello?
> WORD?  Not everyone has Office.  I know, luddite my name is me.  I don't
> have the latest version of Word, neither do most of my users.  Send me
> the PDF if you want me to refer to information.  Send me RTF if I must
> edit it.  Don't send me DOCX until both MS Office and OpenOffice (and
> NeoOffice) support the format.  Get thy head extracted from thy
> hindquarters and learn what SAVE AS is useful for. It's not hard, takes
> only a few seconds, but saves SOOOO MUCH irritation for users on the
> other side that I guess are just not as privileged as you in the "I can
> afford the latest and greatest vendor crap" game.  It's not even that
> hard for the PDF part if you install something like PDFWriter.  I do
> wish I could find an open source PDF editor, though.  I'd LOVE to use
> that format since readers are so common out there and the formatting may
> actually get (mostly) preserved on different platforms.
>
> Whew...suppose I should be donning my asbestos suit now.  This one may
> have just ticked off the self-appointment listmoms.  Or other people
> that don't have a problem with things that do irritate me.  Maybe I'm
> just quirky.  At this moment...*shrug* I don't really care.  I don't
> normally have a history of emailing messages to this group that are so
> long or so off-topic, so I beg some leeway, and probably won't do it
> again for quite some time unless provoked for some reason.  Maybe it'll
> touch a nerve for some people and maybe it'll reaffirm views other
> people hold and hey, now they're not alone.
>
> Or I'll get kicked off the list.
>
> Whoops.
>
> 'Scuse me.  Time to go jump back into the tech trenches.  Have a good
> day, and Ubuntu rocks...

You said, now they're not alone.

I say, No You're not...

What can I add to this Fantastic Exposé of the way we feel about it.
I am myself sure that we are a lot of bunch of people sharing your thoughts
about this subject.

And, NO , You should not be kicked off for offering us this
excellent text. (that I will keep in my saved documents,
for future reference. With your permission please...)

Thanks Again.

Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca

30 years of unix admin... and still learning!