Fernando's massive sig(now off-topic but in-thread)

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Aug 14 14:51:31 UTC 2007

(``-_-ยดยด) -- Fernando wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote: <snip>
>> As a pretty new member of the list ... actually it's a pretty easy
>> room. This is a big, public list and he's irritating thousands of
>> people with each message. It's rude; yet people are asking him
>> nicely to stop.
>>
>> He won't listen, so I'm going to take his advice and send all his
>> messages to the bitbucket. His loss.
>>
>> --Matt
>
> Matt, tell me, what am I doing that is so irritating? A simple
> signature?

While I'm not Matt, I am a bit of an email retentive...

It's not hard to be irritated by people's email habits when you spend a
great deal of time using email and communicating with people via the
typed word.

Here's some points to consider...

A) quoting.  I don't need to see a person's #$%@ sig three or four times
because the quoter is too lazy to trim it down.  Unfortunately it's
common, so the best approach is to not put it in in the first place.  I
mainly need to know who you are, maybe your digital signature if you're
worried about authenticity.  Most people don't need ASCII art or silly
quotes, etc...this is a discussion/tech group, please reserve that
information for private email.

B) Top posting...WHY WASTE THE SPACE.  Worse, I have a huge problem
scrolling to the bottom, move up, read down, scroll up a chunk, read
down, scroll back up...hint: if I don't know about something later
despite your three or four pages of quoted top posted crap you forwarded
me, it's because I deleted it.  I have better things to do than make
heads or tails of your convoluted inability to format and craft a
document in a presentable and organized fashion or because you think
email is a convenient place to slap a one line mental fart at the top of
a few paragraphs you're replying to or act like email is a new form of
instant messaging. "I do it to keep track of the previous conversations
in one place."  That's what threading is for.  I don't need eight copies
of gradually growing messages because you're too lazy to trim out
unnecessary crap and stick to the topic.  Admit it.  You suck at
editing.  I only need the whole mail when I'm sending a forward that
needs to be preserved..."This arrived in my mailbox.  What do you make
of it? QUOTE...."

C) I don't need a constant reminder of who you are in your messages;
place a link to a website with all your info if need be.  I get
downright p@#%sed off when your sig is bigger than that content you
added to the message.  See "mental fart" above.

D) Why the stupid "legalese" sigs people have slapped into messages?
Can any produce ONE CASE where it was legally enforceable? It's stupid
to put in anything about "we're not liable for potential viruses in this
message".  Look, it's a virus.  You think it's going to go through the
trouble of sticking your disclaimer in there?  DUH!  Or "If this wasn't
addressed to you, delete this message..."  Moron, you put it at the
bottom.  I'm afraid I already know about your secret recipe for
kick-butt chili and how much you think auntie-susan's recipe sucks.  Or
does this only fall under your "This message doesn't necessarily reflect
our company's official viewpoint" disclaimer?  I challenge you to find
one case where those space-wasting braindead disclaimers have actually
held up in court.  Until then, it seems they are little more than balm
for paranoid PHBs that think dancing smilies and plastered GIFS in the
background of emails is a good idea.

E) STOP STICKING DANCING SMILIES AND GIFS AND JPGS INTO YOUR MAILS.
Newsflash.  Not all mail clients display them the same way.  Sometimes
they just appear as useless attachments.  Sometimes they actually do
appear in the background...guess what?  Your pretty green and red motif
for fall colors in your text and background?  I'M RED GREEN COlORBLIND.
  I can't read a damn word of your pretty rainbow crap unless I go
through the trouble of editing it or highlighting it.  Whoops, I clicked
delete instead.

F) Yes, word wrapping length annoys people.  Usually, I find, the crowds
using older-style editors on the console are most vocal about this.  New
idea.  We need an automated filter that will rewrap messages at a
specified length.  This is one of the few things that don't really
irritate me so much.  I do find that need to click "re-wrap" with
thunderbird to quote messages back periodically, though, and I don't
know what exactly makes the difference.  I don't particularly care at
the moment.  I wish it would be fixed or that people would use the Apple
Mail.App solution of the format that is dynamically resized for quoting
based on your display size, so email is appropriately wrapped whether on
my widescreen monitor, my laptop, or my cellphone.  Like most ideas I
have regarding computers (or users) being less irritating, this is no
doubt a pipe dream, as I know someone will have some personal quirk or
justification why this is too irritating for them to adopt, usually
related to EMACS not supporting it yet or Outlook can't use a publicly
open format or it would require a user to think.

G) Is there a reason you need to email me in HTML?  Is it really wise,
when Window uses the same engine for rendering HTML email as it uses for
Explorer, with all it's wonderful security bugs and glitches, to treat
my email client as a web browser?  Let's just skip the steps in between.
  Start a blog and IM me the link to your latest entry that you want me
to see.  Stick in dancing fairy gifs, goofy pictures, your latest and no
doubt fake claims for commercial recipes or how some corporation is a
front for an evil anti-(gay|tech|government|etc.) group...stick them
into the web blog and let me know there's something there to waste my
time when I have a spare half hour.  Better yet, I can reply with the
snopes link in that one spot and you can preserve it for reference,
rather than me taking the time to email you and have you delete it and
repeat the same message to me three months later. Reserve email for
actually just communicating to me in plain text with information I could
use.

H) Don't bother with read receipt.  Use it inside your own organization
if you find it necessary.  I freely admit that it would be handy at
times for particular purposes.  Unfortunately for you, I set my client
to ignore it.  If I could I'd strip it out entirely.  Why?  Because it's
too easy for spammers to use it.  Duh.

I) DON'T HIJACK THREADS in LISTS! There's a reason you don't just "hit
reply and change the subject to something totally freakin' unrelated to
the original topic."  See, there are these things called headers.  One
of the headers in mailing lists, more often than not, includes an ID so
sane email programs can easily ID when a message belongs in a particular
thread of conversation.  All you did was change the topic.  Believe me,
plenty of list users absolutely love it when a thread about a memory
leak in a recent update of the kernel suddenly becomes a thread about
installing a messaging client.  Open a new message, insert the proper
TO: address, and send your message.  List regulars, as well as the
archivers, will thank you for it.

J) If you don't bother with a subject line so I can organize your
messages or refer to them later, don't be surprised if I delete it
automatically.  Sometimes it's an oversight.  Sometimes a mistake.  For
most people, it's because they forget EMAIL IS NOT AIM.  If the message
isn't important enough to have a simple summary line in the subject,
it's probably not important enough for me to put in the priority list of
things to get back to.

K) If you read this far, congratulations.  I have had plenty of educated
people complain that a message is just too long and they just can't read
that much.  I'll grant them that complaint to a point.  This does take
time to read.  Believe it or not, I had something to say, and it took
time to type out in a way that I hope is clear.  I'm not emailing this
only because I love the click of my keyboard.  I'm trying to get you to
possibly learn or consider a different viewpoint.  Read it.  Understand
it.  Reply to it.  Don't delete it and later rehash what point I JUST
BROUGHT UP because you were too lazy to read through this and apparently
are only capable of reading in spoonfuls.  If we emailed you an IT tip
or solution to your problem, we did it so you can refer to it, or review
it at your own pace.  Don't call me about the same issue when the answer
is right in the text. Don't ask me to email it out to you as five
mini-mails.  If you don't want to read it in the first place, you'll no
doubt delete it.  Don't expect me to spoon feed it to you again later.
I'll just refer you back to this information.  That's part of the reason
I typed it out.  I don't want to repeat myself unless there's a good
reason for it.  Should I repeat myself again here?  Maybe reiterating it
will drive the point home.

I'm not saying you personally do all of this, I'm just venting about
email etiquette that drives me slowly, slowly, slowly nuts over time.
People don't craft messages clearly anymore.  They slap out whatever
thought is in their head, and claim they don't have the time to actually
make something appear nice, or even readable.  I'm tired of it.
Nowadays if my nerves are frayed enough I just delete messages that take
more effort to decipher than I have patience for.

One last point...stop sending format-specific attachments that
necessarily requires me to have a specific package to read it.  Hello?
WORD?  Not everyone has Office.  I know, luddite my name is me.  I don't
have the latest version of Word, neither do most of my users.  Send me
the PDF if you want me to refer to information.  Send me RTF if I must
edit it.  Don't send me DOCX until both MS Office and OpenOffice (and
NeoOffice) support the format.  Get thy head extracted from thy
hindquarters and learn what SAVE AS is useful for. It's not hard, takes
only a few seconds, but saves SOOOO MUCH irritation for users on the
other side that I guess are just not as privileged as you in the "I can
afford the latest and greatest vendor crap" game.  It's not even that
hard for the PDF part if you install something like PDFWriter.  I do
wish I could find an open source PDF editor, though.  I'd LOVE to use
that format since readers are so common out there and the formatting may
actually get (mostly) preserved on different platforms.

Whew...suppose I should be donning my asbestos suit now.  This one may
have just ticked off the self-appointment listmoms.  Or other people
that don't have a problem with things that do irritate me.  Maybe I'm
just quirky.  At this moment...*shrug* I don't really care.  I don't
normally have a history of emailing messages to this group that are so
long or so off-topic, so I beg some leeway, and probably won't do it
again for quite some time unless provoked for some reason.  Maybe it'll
touch a nerve for some people and maybe it'll reaffirm views other
people hold and hey, now they're not alone.

Or I'll get kicked off the list.

Whoops.

'Scuse me.  Time to go jump back into the tech trenches.  Have a good
day, and Ubuntu rocks...