SSH server

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Fri Aug 10 20:27:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 11:48:49AM +0200, Denis Witt wrote:

> >> sshd on my desktop? why? it's my desktop i use to connect to my servers
> >> using ssh which is in the base system.
>
> > You got it arse backwards,, your server needs sshd,, your desktop needs
> > ssh, which *is* installed in the base system by default.
>
> That's exactly what i wanted to say. sshd is on my servers. So i don't
> need it on my desktop.

Our Ubuntu desktop is safely behind my (rock-solid) firewall. I need sshd
because I don't want to disturb the Ubuntu user for interventions I can
simply execute from here.
As it is so easy to install sshd, I perfectly agree with Ubuntu's
philosophy not to install the server on the desktop edition, and
feel myself now very happy indeed.

Harald
--
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Feb 27 22:56:09 UTC 2007