installing themes

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Aug 9 23:04:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:43:58 -0600
cj <debiani386 at gmail.com> wrote:

> this may seem to be a very stupid question, but i cant figure out how to
> install themes at all. no matter what theme i try, it never loads them.
> is there a specific theme manager i need to download or something?

Assuming you mean GNOME themes, you can just open System-Preferences-Theme
and drag the theme tarball onto the dialog that appears.

It's been a while since I needed to do this, but I recall there used to be
a few themes that also required installing an "engine" - but most will
install as above. Be sure to check the "details" tabs under "Customize" -
some themes are mostly "details". ( window borders, icons etc. )

Alternatively, you can install themes into ~/.themes

For icons, the directory is ~/.icons

You can also add a few extra themes by installing the
"gnome-themes-extras" package, which will install a few themes system-wide.

See   apt-cache show gnome-themes-extras

I don't know the equivalent for KDE .

Peter