Write to floppy?

cj debiani386 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 16:25:32 UTC 2007

Ari Torhamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This thread brings back to me the bad memories of trying to work with
> floppies in Ubuntu. Almost always there was some problem, strange
> behaviour, etc. Typically floppies wouldn't mount or unmount, or I
> couldn't read or write on them. It was common that when I tried to
> refresh the floppy window in Nautilus, the old content just stayed on,
> whatever I tried.
>
> I also wonder why is the new content written on only after the floppy is
> unmounted. It happened often to me that I saved some files on the
> floppy, went on with other things and later grabbed the disk without
> remembering that it wasn't unmounted it yet. Why not just do the writing
> right away, like Windows does?

i dont know..ubuntu 7.04 is different. it automatically refreshes after
changing the contents of the floppy.
> These things happened with several versions of Ubuntu (not Feisty) and
> on different computers. I haven't used floppies in any other Linux
> distributions, so I don't know if the situation is different there. When
> I had these problems, I many times booted to Windows to see if they
> occured there too. They never did, except for a couple of times when the
> floppy was bad. When a new version of Ubuntu came out, I used to think
> that surely the problem is fixed now - bug reports existing and all -
> but it never was. I finally stopped using floppies alltogether, because
> these things made me so frustrated.

i know ubuntu 5.10 really sucked about that. drove me nuts because the
computers at school
still use floppy drives, so i had to execute lots of code just to get
the floppy mounted, get a file copied, then unmount it (I was new to
linux back then since my very first distro i started on was ubuntu 5.04)

--cj