Problems with suspend on a fresh install

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Aug 5 03:05:14 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I installed Ubuntu Feisty with KDE on my Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505
> laptop today. Although in my previous installation, which was also
> Feisty, I could suspend and resume the machine just fine, in this
> install I cannot resume. The machine powers back on, however the
> screen is blank.

ime, the inspirons usually need a VBE POST to reset the display on resume.
The simplest thing to do to check is Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a console and
log in, enter: vbetool post (but don't press return).  Hibernate/suspend
and resume, ctrl-alt-f1 and hit enter.  If your display comes back, that's
the problem.

How you get the resume to do this automatically in Gnome, I couldn't tell
you.  KPowersave has an option for it...
--
derek