[RESOLVED] Re: install sun-java6* ubuntu server 7.04

jack jdangler at terremark.com
Sat Aug 4 17:07:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 11:08 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> jack wrote:
>
> > apt-get -s install sun-java6* produces a list of sun-java6 packages
> > install, but then ends with this:
> >
> > Some packages could not be installed.  This may mean that you have
> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> or
> > been moved out of Incoming.
> >
> > Since you only requested a single operation it is extreemenl;y
> likely
> > that the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that
> > package should be filed.
> > The following information may help to resolve the situation:

> >    sun-java5-fonts: Conflicts: ttf-lucida
> >    sun-java6-fonts: Conflicts: ttf-lucida
> > E: Broken packages
> >
> > I'm not sure why java5 was included here, since I asked for java6,
> > but...
>
> The java packages have some weird circular dependencies.  I suspect
> there's
> really only one font package.
>
> > Is it safe to install these packages and then run apt to fix the
> broken
> > package?
>
> I'd say so - what can go wrong?  You get some bad fonts.  I expect
> (never
> having tried to install sun-java*-fonts) that they actually contain
> _identical_ fonts, but the sun packages aren't actually packaged
> correctly.
>
> I'd use the appropriate "force" option to install the sun-java6-fonts.
> Then
> reinstall ttf-lucida (with the same force option).
> --
> derek

Derek~
Yep.  That did it.  It is odd that commandline installs do that every
now and then.  But, I tried selecting the packages through the gui apt
manager on another machine, it selected the appropriate dependencies,
and installed without incident...  But jaba6 is there, and the fonts
seem happy enough.  Thanks for the help!!!