install sun-java6* ubuntu server 7.04

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 3 15:08:38 UTC 2007

jack wrote:

> apt-get -s install sun-java6* produces a list of sun-java6 packages to
> install, but then ends with this:
>
> Some packages could not be installed.  This may mean that you have
> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or
> been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extreemenl;y likely
> that the package is simply not installable and a bug report against that
> package should be filed.

>    sun-java5-fonts: Conflicts: ttf-lucida
>    sun-java6-fonts: Conflicts: ttf-lucida
> E: Broken packages
>
> I'm not sure why java5 was included here, since I asked for java6,
> but...

The java packages have some weird circular dependencies.  I suspect there's
really only one font package.

> Is it safe to install these packages and then run apt to fix the broken
> package?

I'd say so - what can go wrong?  You get some bad fonts.  I expect (never
having tried to install sun-java*-fonts) that they actually contain
_identical_ fonts, but the sun packages aren't actually packaged correctly.

I'd use the appropriate "force" option to install the sun-java6-fonts.  Then
reinstall ttf-lucida (with the same force option).
--
derek