Backup across multiple DVD's

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 3 00:01:48 UTC 2007

On 08/02/2007 04:28 PM, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> On 8/2/07, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> There appears to have been some activity on the trunk build:
>> https://launchpad.net/kdar
>>
>> Got it from the Edgy repos (kdar_2.0.6-0ubuntu3_i386.deb) &
>> libdar3c2a_2.2.4-2ubuntu2_i386.deb from the dapper repos. Installed on
>> Feisty without a hitch. I'm reading your excellent BurnSlice.txt and
>> will give both kdar and your script a spin later this weekend. Thanks again!
>>

> I´m a big kdar fan, so I´m sorry I´ll throw sand in the engine but:
> you may have trouble using it for DVD-sized slices. Kdar has a bug
> that crashes it (I experimented it with 3GB+ files). This is not a dar
> problem, so you can still use it.
>
> You might get lucky, but in case kdar crashes opening the slices after
> created (which I think it was my case), or even creating them, you can
> take a look at cdbackup.sh, in dar site. It´s a nice script more or
> less catchall situations. It will by default create differential
> backups, after a full backup is done, slicing to CD-sized files (you
> can ofcourse choose DVD-sized files), and burns with cdrecord.
>
> There are other similar scripts in dar´s website, choose your weapons.
>
> regards
> FF

Thanks, I'll have a look at those too. Have a look at Dave's script &
his write-up. I've not tried it yet, but he's put quite a bit of work
into the script & the write-up explaining his work is excellent.

Thankfully I've got plenty of DVD's to burn(up) and time to test.
Hopefully I can use Dave's (or another) to tune and trust so that I can
start doing this on a regular basis.

Doing backups to DVD's/CD's seems to be a regular question & I see that
Ubuntu is working on a "UbuntuHomeBackup", see:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuHomeBackup
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/home-user-backup

Perhaps Dave can be convinced to join that project :-)

Gary