Backup across multiple DVD's

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 2 20:38:36 UTC 2007

On 08/02/2007 09:20 AM, Dave M wrote:
> At 03:24 PM 8/2/2007 , you wrote:
>> >
>> > If you prefer using a GUI, look at KDAR. It is a GUI front end for DAR. It
>> > can do the backups (burned to DVD using the script) or it can create and
>> > export a DAR command with the parameters you chose using the GUI.
>> >

>>Cool! Thanks Dave. I was looking at Kdar, but it appears that it's not
>>been updated since 2005 & is no longer in the repos. So I was a little
>>hesitant to try to use that as a front end for DAR.
>
> I am sorry to hear that they dropped it. It is a nice front end to Dar.
> Makes doing ad-hoc backups much easier. It is a simple program and as far
> as I can tell it works. So that is probably why there isn't much activity
> on it. Hopefully the powers that be will see fit to return it to the repos.
> by the next LTS release of Ubuntu. I have been using it with Dapper and
> have not found a better alternative.
>
> -------------------------------
> Dave M
> Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
> Ann Arbor, Mich. USA
>
> Protect your digital rights: http://www.eff.org
> "The 'Analog Holes' they want to stop up are our eyes, ears and mouths."

There appears to have been some activity on the trunk build:
https://launchpad.net/kdar

Got it from the Edgy repos (kdar_2.0.6-0ubuntu3_i386.deb) &
libdar3c2a_2.2.4-2ubuntu2_i386.deb from the dapper repos. Installed on
Feisty without a hitch. I'm reading your excellent BurnSlice.txt and
will give both kdar and your script a spin later this weekend. Thanks again!

Gary