Is Feisty's LDAP different?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Aug 2 01:33:03 UTC 2007

Zach wrote:
> On 8/1/07, Brian Fahrlander <brian at fahrlander.net> wrote:
>>      Under Dapper, with what I hope is the exact same settings, I got
>> great performance from all workstations.  Now, with Feisty on this one,
>> I wait up to a minute for Feisty's LDAP to do....something...and bring
>> up Firefox. Thunderbird, and Gaim.
>>
>>      The LDAP database has like 20 entries. It's not like a non-indexed
>> search of the tree would cover a lot of ground.  I'm on the same hub as
>> the server, on 100-base-T connection....about 3 feet away.
>>
>>      Yeah, I have an index on the "People" sections, as indicated by the
>> howtos I followed during the setup.  But I can't help but think some
>> default must have changed in Feisty, something that I can't see.  The
>> new nss-ldap package (if I'm remembering it correctly) now has all sorts
>> of special options, some of which relate to Solaris, some
>> ActiveDirectory, and others to Novell; I didn't see them before, but it
>> still worked before.
>>
>>      If you're using LDAP under Feisty, let's compare notes, aye?
>

> I actually haven't had any problems.  I'm not using it on a large
> scale, but, then you aren't either.
>
> You might turn logging for slapd (or whatever ldap server you're
> using) and tail the log as you attempt to "do sutff."  It may be
> worthwhile to put tcpdump on the wire and actually see what/how much
> is going back and forth.

     Most o the debug is pretty useless, unless you wrote part of the
code- it's rare to see anything I might have entered as data, and then
pick apart like someone in a pyramid, discerning a crow-with-lambda
versus a crow.  :>

     I'm working through some alternatations now, though: I found that
/etc/nss-pam.conf was using "ldap [NOTFOUND=return] files" when
searching for things that aren't in my ldap, like services and ethers
and such...I put'em to "files".

     If you don't hear from me for a few days, I'll be doing a re-install.

     :)

     I just wish I knew more about the data structures....like...the
host attribute.  If I add it to a computer/user the wrong way slapd
won't start.  Did you find any "best practices" tutorials, or are you,
like me, just happy to get it going this far?

     :)
  Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
  Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
  ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller