Overheating problem ...

Lee Willis ubuntu at lwillis.plus.com
Thu Apr 26 08:34:55 UTC 2007

I have a problem on one of my PCs at home in that Ubuntu will not turn on the CPU
fan and the machine crashes after about 10 minutes from overheating.

I've commented on/raised various bugs as this has been affecting me since edgy
(And is still present in the feisty release) but so far I've had no pointers on
anything I can do to help resolve this.

I suspect it's ACPI related (Since booting with ACPI off at least puts the fans
on permanently and avoids the overheating, and at least one other person with the
same PC vendor has reported the problem [Cheap Mobo/BIOS?]) - but I have no idea
what information I can provide to get the bugs looked at.

Further info on the following bugs
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/24308
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/54554
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi/+bug/70753
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/70739

Can anyone point in the right direction as to what I can do to help get this fixed?

Thanks
Lee