Feisty wireless with orinoco

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 21:14:24 UTC 2007

Kim,

Thanks for the response :-)

On 27/04/07, Kim Goldenberg <kgoldenberg at oit.state.nj.us> wrote:

> I recently got an older laptop (Dell CPx) from a friend, and installed
> Feisty on it to replace the SuSE 9.3 on it. Dropped in my Avaya wireless
> card and put in my WEP key and up it came.

Mine is an Avaya too.  The network I am trying to connect to does not
use encryption at all.  At present I just suppress the SSID broadcast
and filter on MAC address  Yes, I should use encryption but I wanted
to get the machine working as it did under sarge and as it has also
worked now under Knoppix before I go changing the network (on the
principle of changing one one thing at a time - the one thing this
time being the OS on the Thinkpad).

> The only problem right now is  that it seems to forget the key between reboots.

Ironic.  I find that I *do* get my settings preserved across boots.
They just don't work :-/

> I'm just using the  default programs that come with Ubuntu. As far as I know, wavemon is not
> part of the  default install.

"sudo wavemon" worked for me right away, I think.  Certainly that's
how it was under Knoppix this morning.  If "sudo wavemon" does not
work for you  it is definitely in the default Ubuntu repository, so
Synaptic or "sudo aptitude install wavemon" will get it for you.

I had a play at trying to get onto another network (a FON one, as it
happens).  No joy their either.  Again, the card driver seems to think
it has all the info, but Feisty just won't use the card as a NIC. :-(

So, I remain in search of wisdom on this one.

All the best,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/