kubuntu battery applet (Power Manager)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 25 18:52:17 UTC 2007

marc wrote:

> Jan Torben Heuer said...
>> Hi,
>>
>> (k)ubuntu configured my desktop nicely, but one thing was better last
>> time:
>>
>> The new (edgy) "Power Manager" let my select - in case of low battery -
>> to shutdown, hibernate, suspend or do nothing. Cool. Useless. What about
>> WARNING me, as the applet in the last distribution did? I want to save my
>> work and not give my last energy reserves away for suspending or
>> whatever.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the name of that old applet was and how to get it
>> back?
>
> klaptopdaemon on kde, perhaps.
>
> Having both loaded caused problems here, but... you can't remove the
> "power manager" package as kubuntu-desktops depends on it <sigh>,

Of course you can.  kubuntu-desktop isn't a required part of your system

> and
> since you can't switch it off either - at least, I couldn't discover how
> to - you'll need to remove the persistence script in
> /usr/share/autostart.
>
> Power management nose dived in edgy, ime.

OK, getting a warning would be nice, but in what way is hibernating worse
than giving you a warning that turns out to be 5 seconds to short to save
_all_ of your work?  Hibernate takes place in a reasonably predictable
time, saving your work doesn't.

Personally, I never liked klaptopdaemon.
--
derek