Problems when booting up...

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Apr 25 15:22:19 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 16:38, Larry Shields wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:

> >> Hello Derek,
> >> Well what I want it too do it to start up as it all ways did when it
> >> was first installed...
> >> Showing the bar loading, then it switches to a screen with a light
> >> brown in color with a small rectangular box for loging in...
> >> At that point typing my username & password, hiting enter it brings
> >> up Gnome desktop...
> >>
> >> But now what it does is show the loading bar, but it never finishes
> >> prompt...From that point I log in, then I have too use startx to
> >> bring up my desktop...So I suppose it is GDM that I am looking
> >> for...So what is the appropriate package that I am missing...???
> >> Plus why would it be missing since it has all ways worked prior to
> >> this problem, I can not see what has been changed, or remove and
> >> why...
> >
> > Please check if the package gdm is installed. Furthermore there
> > should be a file /etc/X11/default-display-manager which has the path
> > to gdm, i.e. there is a line
> >
> > /usr/sbin/gdm
> >
> > in that file.
> >
> >> I looked in my /var/log dir., but did not see a *dm.log file, so
> >> what may I ask is *dm, do you mean the dmesg.gz log's...???
> >
> > Derek meant the logfile of your display manager which should be gdm
> > in your case. The logfile for gdm is in /var/log/gdm/ at least on my
> > machine which runs Dapper. However, if you have used kdm also (that's
> > the display manager for Kubuntu / KDE), there should be a logfile
> > /var/log/kdm.log as well.
> >

> > Nils
>
> Hello Nils,
>
> It now looks like we are getting closer on why it does not bootup
> correctly...
> There isn't a script gdm in the /usr/sbin/??? area...
>
> But it does have the path in the /etc/X11/default-display-manager
> showing /usr/sbin/gdm...
>
> How that script was deleted is beyond me, but at anyrate where can I
> get it from, maybe the Ubuntu 6.10 CD...???

It should be on the Ubuntu CD (I don't have one here, so I can't check
that). However, there are some more files in the package gdm. As we don't
know what happened to the package on your machine, I would suggest you
reinstall the package. Start the package manager synaptic. There you
search for gdm and mark the package for reinstallation (or for
installation if it isn't installed). Then click the apply button.

Nils