Is Windows/Fedora after all better than (k)ubuntu - I hope NOT

Alain Muls alain.muls at telenet.be
Thu Apr 19 11:10:20 UTC 2007

I work on a project which uses QT so that the same source code can be used for
obtaining a program that works under linux and windows. Our team consits of 5
persons, 4 windows fanatics and I use exclusively (k)ubuntu.

Last week we got an upgrade of the QT to v4.2.3. and I decided to upgrade to
feisty (beta, I agree, but very near to completion) from dapper at the same
time.

QT compiled with no problem on windows, on feisty and fedora core.

The programs were compiled on both systems and everything went fine until
running the application. On Windwos and Fedora everything is OK, on (K)Ubuntu
it is really ugly (snapshots can be mailed to your personal account if wanted,
windows is the same figure as fedora). Just compare the outline of the
textedits and no visibility of selection button in front of "Epoch Interval"
eg.

Since I had a spare partitition I decided to install Dapper Drake there and
tried to recompile QT. It will not work, there is a dependy problem with
regard to "sys/inotify.h". I have installed all development packages that
have somewhere inotify.h in it.

In conclusion it works under Windows and Fedora, compiles under Feisty but
very ugly display and no compilation of QT under Dapper?

I am desperate since I use ubuntu for more than 2 years now and I want to stay
with this distribution.

Any suggestions are very very welcome!!!

Tx/Alain
Alain Muls                                alain.muls at telenet.be
RMA-CISS-ASGE                                     +32.2.7426340
Renaissance Avenue 30                         Srt +32.2.7426343
B1000 Brussels (Belgium)