Please find my 2G

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Mon Apr 16 11:24:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 08:15:21PM +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> Frankly,  neither I nor anyone else should care a damn what you
> think.  My reaction was entirely appropriate, given that I was in
> trouble and had insufficient knowledge or experience to know what
> to do.
> A large number of people recognised this and did their very best
> to help.  They were successful both in helping me to understand
> the problem and to restore my system.  They have earned my
> respect and gratitude.
>
> There is a much smaller group who preferred to take the
> opportunity to demonstrate thier superiority and demean the
> enquirer. Such Internet "playground bullies" earn nothing but
> contempt.

Brian,
  I think this is one of those occasions where things tend to get blown out of
  proportion because email is such an ambigous medium. Im sure that you in your
  mind were curteous and responsive, but it also seems that others on the list
  have mistaken this thread for arrogance which may have put some poeple off.
  It really is an unforgiving medium and its easy to read too much into each
  email. In future just try to be careful how you phrase your emails so they
  can not be taken the wrong way. Similarly perhaps some people should have
  slightly thicker skins :-)

  I think we all learned something from the discussion - im sure I once did
  exactly the same mistakes as you did. We all live and learn. Regardless there
  is no need to escalate the thread into a flame war... (This is not directed
  at any specific person, but the group in general).

  The most important message is that you, Brian, should not feel discouraged
  from asking more questions on this forum. This is what linux is all about -
  helping each other. Choose to ignore the replies that you perceive as less
  helpful, rather than flame them.

  Michael.