Why doesn't Compiz work on an Ati card?

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wattazoum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 16:48:35 UTC 2007

Chanchao a écrit :
> I have an Ati Radeon card in my desktop comptuter. 9200SE I believe.
>
> I try to enable Desktop effects but it doesn't work.  I also checked the
> Restricted Drivers Manager but it says my card doesn't need them. (Is
> that true?)
>
> Strangely enough, I also have a VERY basic low end laptop with Intel
> graphics, and all the bling works like a charm on it, never had to do
> much to get it to run. Just added the Compiz manager (GL Desktop) to
> have a sane way of configuring the options and that was it.
>
> So should it work on an ATI card?  SHould I just go with Nvidia?
>
> Cheers,
> Chanchao

I have the exactely same card as yours :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/106454

With beryl it worked but not with compiz. But after I reinstalled Feisty
from scratch it worked. so the bug is now closed. Try to install beryl
to see if it works.

It seems to me that beryl is more compatible with a lot of hardware than
compiz.