Edgy to Feisty Upgrade - CD/Time

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Mon Apr 23 04:25:02 UTC 2007

This afternoon I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my Edgy system
to Feisty.

I first downloaded & burned the latest alternate i386 iso, verified all
checksums, verified the CD etc., etc. Then I inserted the CD and
selected the update option. Every attempt to upgrade from the CD only
(no network) failed. Check the md5's again, booted & checked the CD that
way. Burned the CD at different speeds (even at 8x) just to be sure,
even used the CD to do a fresh install on another system.

So, I finally checked the allow network option & off it goes... Even
though I had a proper alternate CD, it went ahead and downloaded all
600+ MB of updates anyway. 6 hours later it's still "upgrading" and
shows "About 5 hours 54 minutes remaining. It's not stalled, I can see
it going through each application etc., and installing. Note: I have a
DSL link that works just fine at 1.5MB download.

So my question is: how long should it take to do a "upgrade"? 11+ hours
to "update" a system seems over the top. I seem to recall that going
from Dapper to Edgy took around 8-10 hours as well. Anyone else notice
that it takes a *full day* to do an upgrade, or is it just me? Anyone
successfully perform an upgrade from the alternate CD only?