[Update] Re: Edgy to Feisty Upgrade - CD/Time

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Mon Apr 23 16:38:21 UTC 2007

On 04/23/2007 08:40 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/22/2007 10:07 PM, Jakob Lenfers wrote:
>> NoOp schrieb:
>>
>>> So my question is: how long should it take to do a "upgrade"? 11+ hours
>>> to "update" a system seems over the top. I seem to recall that going
>>> from Dapper to Edgy took around 8-10 hours as well. Anyone else notice
>>> that it takes a *full day* to do an upgrade, or is it just me? Anyone
>>> successfully perform an upgrade from the alternate CD only?
>>
>> On my desktop, the update took the whole night too. But thats only
>> because the servers are overloaded. I ran an update on my test system
>> two or three weeks ago and the whole process took IIRC 2 hours.
>>
>> Jakob
>>

> I left it around 11:00 pm and checked this morning - it had about 2
> hours left. Of course it halts to ask various questions about replacing
> certain files w/new files; it's now finished and all I get is my desktop
> w/icons. Can't access anything on the panel, can't Alt Fx, nothing -
> it's frozen. I'm tempted to do a hard reboot, but figure I'll wait
> another 15-30 min to see if it will come out on it's own.

Good news! Ctrl-Alt-Backspace worked. System rebooted just fine, all
apps working (even that pesky Network-Manager which I'd uninstalled), it
even left my 'Official' version of OpenOffice 2.2 in place :-)

So... when I prepare to upgrade my last Dapper system to Edgy then to
Feisty I'll be sure to schedule a 3 day vacation. Either that or just
get smart & do what I did to the other machines; backup & do a fresh
install.