No Window manager after Feisty upgrade

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 14:05:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

Just upgraded from Edgy to Feisty. On first reboot everything seemed
normal. When I next shut down and restarted there were no title bars
anywhere, there are no other virtual screens. I also can't switch to
any windows behind the front one. I eventually figured out that there
was no window manager running. I entered:

metacity &

on the command line and then everything was OK. After some
experimenting this is what I have discovered. When I restart it seems
like there is no window manager running. If I go to the new "Desktop
Effects" and enable the effects I don't get any title bar or anything
else a window manager gives. But when I then disable Desktop Effects
everything works as normal (title bars, my 6 virtual screens are back
etc).

Is anyone else having any similar problems? Any ideas why this is
happening or what to do to fix things? Up until now I have always run
metacity within Gnome. I havn't installed Beryl or Compiz yet or
played around with Desktop Effects at all.

Craig Hagerman