feisty upgrade: update-manager doesn't find enough disk space

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:05:29 UTC 2007

While doing the upgrade from fully updated Edgy to Feisty, the
update-manager reports that around 70 MB disk should be freed in
/var/cache/apt/archives. However, I have more than enough disk space
there. I have also followed the tip about putting the following line in
/etc/apt/apt.conf (from the release notes for Feisty), even though my
archives directory was not a symlink:
     * Update Manager may incorrectly calculate the free space
requirements when symlinks are used for some directories such as
/var/cache/apt/archives. Bug #106804. As a workaround, modify
/etc/apt/apt.conf and add the following line giving the correct path for
that directory rather than using a symlink.

         Dir::Cache::archives "/path/to/your/apt/archives";

but update-manager reports the same problem. What should I try?

->HS