how to upgrade

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Apr 18 21:06:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 14:55 +0700, Ali Milis wrote:
> By coincidence, I have fixed several Debian systems
> manually in the past.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh.

There mere fact that you had to fix them shows that the upgrade was
broken :) I have upgraded my share of Debian systems too, and there was
_always a lot of manual work involved. I am convinced that the
difference is mainly perception. On Debian, a knowledgeable admin is
expected, and conversely the admin accepts that things have to be
tweaked, after install as well as after upgrade. In Ubuntu, things have
to Just Work.

Another issue might come into play. I don't know when you upgraded your
Debian systems, but mine were around potato, woody, and sarge. And at
the time GNU/Linux systems were usually a lot simpler than today. Just
look at the number of processes Ubuntu has running by default. The
desktop environments were simpler (if there at all), etc. Complexity in
the systems makes upgrades harder and/or requires more admin knowledge.

Regards,
Mario