Per user fstab

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Apr 17 16:49:50 UTC 2007

WipeOut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have a per user fstab file so that samba shares are
> mounted at user login?
>
> I know that I can create network connections from the "places" menu but
> these don't work in all applications (Thunderbird and GFTP as examples)
> so I need to go back to the old way of mounting the network shares into
> the local file system but would like to manage it on a per user basis
> rather than globally..
>
> Any suggestions?

Are we talking lots of users or just a few?

If it's just a few, I would mount them all in fstab, but restrict the
permissions to that user only.. for example

-o uid=username,fmask=600,dmask=700

Mount them somewhere in the home directory.  If you don't want to mount
them all at boot, I think you can add a users option and put a mount
command in the user login profile.  Don't forget to use cifs instead of
the old and busted smbfs.