OpenOffice saving as .zip

David Symons ubuntu at liberatedcomputing.net
Tue Apr 17 02:56:17 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Somehow the OpenOffice on my daughter's Edubuntu 6.06 LTS
> system has gotten strange and is saving her files as .zip files
>
> How do we get it back to normal behavior?

Hi Drew,

OpenOffice files are zip archives.  It's the filename extension (odt,
ods ...) that marks them as OOo documents.  Are these files missing an
extension?

If so you can simply rename and the appropriate extension ("odt" for
word processing documents, "ods" for spreadsheets...)

Make sure that "Automatic file name extension" is ticked in the
Save/Save-As dialog to prevent recurrence.

Cheers, Dave.
--
David Symons
https://launchpad.net/~bimberi