Upgrade to edgy: kdm or gdm doesn't start automatically

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon Apr 16 09:02:52 UTC 2007

Mario Vukelic said...
> On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 19:22 +0100, marc wrote:
> > After a bit of effort to complete the upgrade of packages - noted
> > elsewhere - I'm nearly there.
>
> Hey, good to hear!
>
> > However, when I boot via grub to:
> >
> >   Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17.-11-generic [1]
>
> First of all, the current kernel in Feisty is
> linux-image-2.6.20-15-generic.

As you noted later, I'm moving to edgy not feisty.

> > things proceed as expected, with the splash screen, but then I'm dumped
> > into the command line (tty1). There's no error message on screen to
> > indicate a problem.
>
> Just to be sure: you did ensure that the metapackages ubuntu-minimal,
> ubuntu-standard, and at least one of  ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop,
> or xubuntu-desktop ist installed, right?

Yes.

> And the system is up to date,  "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude
> dist-upgrade" does nothing, right?

Yes.

> Please paste the output of
>
> who -r (this should show your current runlevel)

run-level 2

I'd be terrified if was anything else!

> And then the output of
>
> ls -l /etc/rc2.d (assuming that your runlevel is 2)

Looks okay, but I'm on another machine at the moment, and the laptop is
not on this network, so I can't copy the results. (Email is also down on
it because courier needs reconfiguring due to the previous issue!)

I found that by removing "quiet splash" from the grub entry that kdm
will run automatically. It also runs with "splash" only, which
reconfigures things to the dapper setup, which is what I wanted. So
there appears to be something wrong with the "quiet" option.

--
Cheers,
Marc