varlock and varrun

Christoph Pleger Christoph.Pleger at cs.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Apr 12 17:43:39 UTC 2007

Hello,

I generated a minimal edgy system by debootstrap, copied that system to
a machine with fresh formatted partitions and installed a kernel and a
bootloader. After rebooting, the machine did not fully come up and I
found out that the reason for that was that /var/lock and /var/run had
not been mounted. After some investigation I found out that /var/lock
and /var/run should be mounted by S01mountkernfs.sh and I wonder how
that is possible when S35mountall.sh is run later, because the
mountpoints /var/lock and /var/run cannot be present before mounting
/var, what normally should be done by S35mountall.sh.

In spite of that, after a normal CD-installation the machine boots
successfully. But I cannot find the significant difference between a
CD-installation and my debootstrap-installation.

Does anybody know why mounting /var/lock and /var/run works ok after
installing from CD?

Regards
  Christoph